Papa Playground Recreation
Advisory Council - Mission Statement
Papa Playground Recreation Advisory Council - Mission Statement
In a spirit of cooperation and support, we set forth the following mission statement to guide the formation of a Community Advisory Council at Charles Papa Playground and Recreation Center of the Parks/Recreation Commission. Together, we represent a spectrum of interests within the Overbrook Community, including business leaders, parents and representatives from the Overbrook Athletic Association 51, the Friends of Morris Park and the Overbrook Chargers. Groups and individuals are always welcome to join us as we seek to create a diverse membership with representatives of many facets of the community.
A well-maintained park with active programming can serve as an anchor for a community and can greatly contribute to the overall quality of life.
We will invest our energy in a collaborative effort to overcome obstacles and create a new vision for Papa Playground and the community. Rather than embrace the status quo, we will embark on a plan to improve Papa’s programming and the playground itself.
Our initial goals, the results we desire, are as follows:
• Sustaining existing programs and expansion of hours of operation
• Addition of new programs to meet community needs and increase usage
• Increased community outreach and effective two-way communication
• Improved physical plant with particular attention to health and safety issues
• Creation of a written long-range plan for the center to address maintenance,
growth and development of the site and its programs
We see the role of the Community Advisory Council as follows…through regular meetings with Park staff we will:
• Provide input/recommendations on programming and questions of
particular interest to the community
• Help facilitate communication with the broader community
• Provide assistance with fund-raising for specific programs or improvements
• Serve as an advocacy group for Papa Playground needs with the City structure
• Provide assistance with volunteer recruitment to support programs
• Assist with the planning process to create and implement a long-range plan